Thursday, June 13, 2013

Benchmade Griptilian Review

I recently picked up a Benchmade Griptiilian at my local outdoors shop and so far I absolutely love it. I have a pretty nice fixed blade collection with some of the usual suspects like Becker BK series, ESEE knives, Moras etc. but I am just starting to get into the world of quality folding knives.

The Benchmade Griptilian is a relatively inexpensive option when it comes to Benchmade knives, however in my opinion there is little compromise on the structure, integrity and materials. The reason that the Griptilian is cheaper than some of the other Benchmade folders is because it has a polymer handle instead of G-10 scales. The other reason is that it is not an assisted opening knife. Neither are big deals in my book and here is why..


Handles

The polymer handle, although you can definitely tell the difference from the G-10 scales, has some great features for the basic materials. The handle is textured and fits really well in the hand. The jimping on both the spine and the interior part of the handle make it very easy to grip. It does not slide or move in the hand once you have a firm grip. The jimping is in all of the right places and the handle is rounded just enough to make it very comfortable to hold. It took me a while to get over the plastic like feeling of the handles but despite the feeling, they seem to be very durable. The belt clip has the option for right and left carry but comes out of box for us right handers.

Blade Lock

Since this is my first Benchmade knife, this is my first introduction to the blade locking mechanism. I like it. The blade always locks up tight, there is no movement to the blade and from the reviews that I have seen you can beat on this thing with no failure to the lock. The nice part about the lock is that it can be used as a method to open the knife as well. All you do is press down on the lock and flick the blade open. Very efficient. 


The Blade

The blade of the Benchmade Griptilian is made of 154cm which is now my new favorite stainless steel. The knife comes out of the box impeccably shaving sharp. 154cm is an American made stainless steel that was originally designed for tough industrial applications. It is corrosion resistant, holds and edge and is easy to sharpen. The best quality I like about this knife is how sharp it can get. I put this thing on the wet stone after some heavy use and was able easily sharpen it beyond its starting point. It cuts everything like butter it is pretty amazing. 

The sheep's foot blade style is another great feature of this knife. The reverse tanto style point that is indicative of the sheep's foot gives the knife a very durable point, much more so than a clip point. The blade design also provides a continuous cutting surface and one that is easy to sharpen. Additionally he jimping on the handle that seamlessly transfers to the blade makes a great resting spot for your thumb. 


Cost

This knife ranges in price between about 78- 100 bucks the below price is one of the best that I have seen so far. I picked mine up for about $85 You can click on the below picture for more review information from Amazon.


For information on fixed blade knifes check out Best Survival Knife review guide

Overall 

Overall I am very happy with this knife it is a great entry level Benchmade folder with great steel and overall great feel. This is a knife that you wont be disappointed with if you are trying to upgrade your current folder.
All in all for the price this is an awesome everyday knife. Benchmade Griptilian








6 comments:

  1. My husband loves his knives. Last I checked, he has 11 little hunting/utility knives like this one. I want to get him one for his birthday, but I just don't know what kind, where to get it, or the price range I should expect. https://pss1online.com/benchmade-knives

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted a benchmade knife. I have some pretty good pocket knives at home, but I need something that's a bit more sturdy and more easy to cut with. I've always heard that benchmade knives are really good knives. I hope that I can save up on a new knife that I like.
    http://www.premiumselectsupplies.com/benchmade-knives

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently picked up a Benchmade Griptiilian at my local outdoors shop and so far I absolutely love it. I have a pretty nice fixed blade collection ... bpocketknives.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do believe that Cold Steel folding knife would be the best choice to be taken along with you for camping.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi fellas,
    Thank you so much for this wonderful article really!
    If someone want to read more about that survival knife I think this is the right place for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went over this website and I believe you have a lot of wonderful information, saved to my bookmarks sanrenmu knives for sale

    ReplyDelete